White River at a glance
White River (Witrivier) is a small holiday and farming town situated just North of Nelspruit in Mpumalanga.
The farms in the White River region of Mpumalangaproduce tropical fruit, vegetables, flowers and timber.
The scenic town of White River, with its three irrigation dams and a number of forests, is one of the most popular holiday destinations for tourist and the town of White River has developed a well-earned reputation for its arts and crafts.
White River is also only a half an hour's drive from the Numbi Gate of the Kruger National Park and is on the road to both the Blyde River Canyon and Gods Window – 2 of SA’s premier tourist attractions. Its also within short striking distance of the border post to Mozambique which is only 95km away.
With its subtropical climate, White River remains temperate all year around and the plethora of tropical plants, trees and fruit orchards that flourish make White River a pleasantly relaxing place to stay.
White River Property Information
Properties in White River have for many years been a popular purchase with Mpumalanga property buyers and investors from Gauteng and in particular.
With the MpumalangaGovernment offices being only a short 20 minutes away from White River, many ofthe staff working there rent or buy property in White River. (They are mostly young upcoming professionals and first time homeowners).
There is also a trend of people who want to retire looking for property in White River - mainly due to the climate and the proximity to popular tourist attractions.
White River's property market also needs new affordable housing developments. We often receive calls and e-mails from young people who are looking to buy affordable housing. Nelspruit seems to have far more to offer these buyers as there are very few properties in White River which fall into the affordable housing category.
White River Property Suburbs
White River Extensions 1 to 18 are the more developed areas with property stands ranging from 1000 square metres to 1600 square metres.
The Parkville area is one of the more popular White River property areas due to its proximity to the schools and main shopping centres.
Kingsview in White River was developed later with smaller stands ranging from 400 square metres to 600 square metres. This was done with the first time homeowner & new entrants to theWhite River property market in mind.
Colts Hill is a small area next to a Macadamia farm and small holdings.
Yaverland is popular for small holdings. There are also new developments like Bedford Estate where you can buy one hectare stands in a security estate.
The White River property arena also houses smaller security and wildlife estates such as Waterberry Estate, Wild Fig Estate, Waterkant Estate, Recoletta, Summerbreeze, Sheffield, Lakeview, Pamushana and of course the White River Golf Estate.
There are also a number of holiday complexes in the area like Pine Lake Inn, Lowveld Lodge and Greenway Woods and Oliver's Guest House. These are all popular holiday destinations.
Attractions in White River Area
- Casterbridge is a shopping centre which houses arts and crafts from local artists and is also home to a number of exquisite restaurants. Casterbridge Centre is a lifestyle centre and boasts award winning artists, potters and sculptures from the area. There is also a museum of vintage cars. The over 35 stores set in well-manicured gardens make it a great stop.
- Kruger National Park - only thirty minutes away offers a lot to see and experience.
- Gods Window - majestic cliffs plunge over 700 meters to the Lowveld and the game reserves.
- Blyde River Canyon - This canyon is part of the famous Panorama route starting at Graskop and includes God's Window, the Pinnacle and Burkes Luck Potholes.
- The Kruger Mpumalanga International Airport is only minutes away from White River and offers inland as well as international flights. The airport is also a gateway to the Kruger National Park.
- White River town or CBD has a small shopping centre, White River Square, which boasts a Pick and Pay and a number of other well-known retail brands.
- There is also a Spar Centre with smaller shops.
Schools In White River
White River boasts a number of schools.
- Uplands College is an Anglican co-independent pre-school, primary and high school. Situated on the doorstep of the White River Country Estate this school is high in demand and the waiting list at the school is proof of its popularity.
- White River Primary School is a duel medium school situated in town.
- Rob Ferreira High School is a duel medium school with excellent facilities.
- Penryn College is a private school starting from preprimary up to grade 12.
- Other schools in the area include Flamboyant and Kings College.
White River Info
Coordinates: 25°19' S 31°01' E
Country: South Africa
Total 23.15 k square metres (8.94 sq mi)
Time Zone: SAST (UTC+2)